Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm not a fan of walls



If I could take all the walls down in my house, except bathroom walls, I would probably be happy.  I'm not a fan of walls.  As it is, I need the walls to put the shelving on.  Our house is probably more space than any 2 people need--something slightly over 1300 square feet counting the screened porch.  We have a lot of books and I have a lot of art/craft supplies, so at this time in my life I need a few walls, but I did think for a long time that a very wide doorway between the kitchen and dining room would be nice.  It took me about a year and a half to persuade Morgan of the virtue of this idea, then it was just a matter of deciding whether to pay a contractor to do the work or  to put Morgan's considerable skills to work.  After getting a couple of estimates (ranging from just over  $1000 to over $3000) we decided to save the money  and do it ourselves.  









This past Sunday, our friend Larry came over and in less than 7 hours, they had removed the sheet rock, framed the doorway, and completed the first layer of taping and floating.  We still have to do more taping and floating, do the texturing, and paint, but I am loving the flow of the house now.  Check it out!







I'll post more pictures after I've painted and moved the furniture back into the dining room.


No comments:

Post a Comment