Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm a bad blogger!

Seems like I've been meaning to post for weeks, but I never seem to get around to it!  Just finished my Surface Design class at the Stitch Lab.  We dyed, stamped, silkscreened, did bleach and wax resists and whatever else you can imagine doing to fabric!  Here are a few pictures:

This is canvas, fan folded, and then folded again and dyed cerulean blue.



I'd like to overdye this piece.  It was dyed golden yellow and washed, the leaves were silkscreened, then a texture was applied and turquoise dye rolled over that.  



This is cotton, folded and then rubber banded, died blue and washed; then the spirals were applied with a stamp dipped in a bleach formula, rinsed, then overdyed with green.



This is my favorite piece: dyed Chinese red, washed, placed on top of a lace-patterned plastic placemat, and bleach applied with a roller over that.  



This is cotton that was folded over and over again, clamped between plexiglass, then dyed a chocolate brown,  and washed.  I used one of Kat's stamps coated with a bleach formula to make the leaves.

These were all just experiments to find out how the fabric would react to different dyes and surface treatments.  Now I'd like to make a couple of screens specifically for using with dyes on fabric and order some dye colors I'd like to work with.  I'm already thinking of all the white shirts in my closet!  One thing I will not do is is rainbow colored tie dye.  That you can be sure of!  

One great thing about these Procion dyes is that they are so stable.  The jet black is truly black and the colors are rich and saturated.  Even if you just want to dye some fabric a solid color, this is absolutely the best dye to use.  It's available at Dharma Trading Company in many yummy colors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment