Saturday, January 1, 2011

30 Days of gratitude--Day 25

I'm grateful I survived this difficult and challenging year.  I'm grateful I'm married to a kind and compassionate man.  I'm grateful for my friends, my oncologist, the chemo nurses, and the few strangers who have come up to me and said, "I know what you're going through and it will be okay." 


 I'm grateful that I continue to feel hopeful in these wicked times.  I don't believe in wearing blinders. I think the truth is the goal, regardless of how painful it might be.  If we can't see and admit the truth then any real solutions are impossible.  It's great to be positive and to see the beautiful parts of life, but living in that place for too long is foolish and not helpful.  Sometimes we're supposed to feel sadness and sorrow.  It's part of being human.  


 My greatest fear is that I possess enormous blind spots (lacunas) that are apparent to all but me, yet I know that possessing blind spots is a large part of my human condition.  This is where a sense of humor is helpful.  And I'm grateful for that.  

1 comment: