Saturday, July 24, 2010

Top o' the morning!

We went on our first walk this morning since my lumpectomy.  This is one of my favorite yards, but the  photo really doesn't do it justice.  It's a combination of tropicals and natives and this is its best year yet!

Cancer update:
I met the oncologist, Dr. Hellerstedt yesterday.  I really liked her.   I found out this morning that she was my friend Corie's mother's oncologist. Corie had e-mailed me the day after I had gotten the recommendation from a friend, singing the praises of her mom's oncologist,  how she had saved her mom's life,  and that I should at least meet with her,  but didn't mention her name.  Tiny, tiny world.  I feel like the goddess of healing has smiled upon me!  Thank you, Kati and thank you, Corie!

My cancer was classified as Stage 2A due to the size and the positive test for HER2 sensitivity. This type of cancer is fairly aggressive (grade 3) which explains how it got this big relatively quickly (3.2cm).

So here's the treatment plan. 3 months of chemo cocktails every three weeks including the "red devil," Adriamycin.  After that Taxol for another 3 months along with Herceptin that blocks the HER2 receptors. The Herceptin continues for 6 months after that's done. The first three months are will be the hardest, the 2nd and 3rd phases of treatment will be a lot easier to handle.  That which doesn't kill me...

Beth said I'm likely to have 1-4 rough days after each treatment during the first phase. Chemo lasts three-four hours.

Next week they're doing every test under the sun:  echocardiogram, CT scan, brain MRI, full bonescan. This is to establish my baseline measurements of health so they can monitor me throughout the treatment and post-treatment for signs of problems or recurrence. Chemo starts on Tuesday,  August 3rd.  

Oh, Dr. Hellerstedt also gave me a prescription for a cranial prosthesis, i.e. a wig!  Isn't that hilarious?  So, I have always wanted a wig and now
I get one and insurance will pay for most of it!  Whee!  Wig shopping
anyone?  Although as hot as it is in September, I will probably be rocking the bald head until it cools off. 

Went for my first walk since the lumpectomy this morning and I feel pretty good. I'm going to see if I can do some light chores like laundry folding and a little pick up around the house, too. Then we're going to go out to dinner with some friends tonight, too. Life is actually pretty damn good, in spite of this foolish cancer!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear things are going well! You look great, and I'd love to get together soon. Also, on a separate note, I've totally slacked off running, but your walk photo has inspired me to get started again.